Divorce can cause a range of emotions, and it’s important to recognize that these feelings are normal. Here are some tips for parents to help with stress and divorce:
- Routines: Keep routines intact to provide structure and stability for your child.
- Grief: Acknowledge your grief, even if you’re an adult.
- Respect: Be respectful of the other parent. It’s harmful to children when parents criticize each other.
- Discipline: Establish age-appropriate rules and follow through with consequences.
- Feelings: Let your child know that it’s okay to feel their feelings.
- Communication: Communicate with your ex about your child’s needs.
- Support: Find a support group and take time to recuperate.
- Children’s best interests: Before contacting your ex, consider how your actions will affect your child.
- Be there for your children: Be there for your children.
It’s important to remember that your children have a right to their feelings. If you try to force a “happy face,” your kids may be less likely to share their true feelings with you.